A new cryptocurrency art auction is selling shares in an Andy Warhol painting

A new kind of art auction is taking paintings out of the picture. You can go online and buy shares in an iconic Andy Warhol work using cryptocurrency—but the physical object will not hang in your home, and you can’t own it all.

Today (June 20), the first such blockchain art auction begins. Up for sale is a 1980 Warhol silkscreen called 14 Small Electric Chairs. Only 49% of the painting—so just under 7 small electric chairs—is available for purchase. The other 51% will remain with the current owner, Eleesa Dadiani. That means she’ll hold chief control over the artwork, but offer digital certificates of ownership to successful bidders.

Read @ Quartz

Mozart manuscript expected to sell for RM2.3mil

The first draft of music Mozart wrote for the last act of his opera “The Marriage of Figaro” is expected to sell for half a million euros (RM2,309,688) when it goes under the hammer in Paris.

The “exceptional” manuscript from 1786 which will be auctioned on Wednesday in the French capital comes from the peak of the composer’s career in Vienna, the auction house Ader Nordmann said.

Read @ New Straits Times Online

11 Pieces of Original Book Cover Art go to Auction

Gorey Goth copy.jpg

An upcoming auction in New York on June 5 has an incredible selection of original book cover art — eleven by my count, an unusually large number to be offered at once, and a few superlative pieces to boot. Highlights include Russell Tandy’s watercolor and gouache on board for the beloved Nancy Drew title, The Secret in the Old Attic (1944), several Edward Gorey watercolor illustrations, and some neat pulp cover art, including one by “King of Paperbacks” James Avati.

Read @ Fine Books & Collections Magazine